The Steel Bridge School District was established formally in August 1927, named for a bridge over the Whitemud River that had been built in 1908 by the Algoma Steel Bridge Company. The first school building was located at NW30-14-10W in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. It was replaced at the same location by a new building, in 1949, and this school operated until closure in 1968. It is no longer present at the site but a monument unveiled in 1993 commemorates it.
The first Steel Bridge School building (circa 1929) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 108.
The former Steel Bridge School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 547.
Steel Bridge School monument (August 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.22579, W98.82502
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 October 2016
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.