Construction of the St. Clements Anglican Church, in what later became the Rural Municipality of St. Andrews, started in 1860 under the supervision of stonemason Samuel Taylor, and the first service was held in it in December 1861. The bell tower was added in 1928. It is surrounded by a large cemetery that contains the graves of many of the founding families of Selkirk. The building is a sturdy stone structure in the English Parish Gothic Revival style with a crenellated bell tower and pointed arch windows and door. Inside are stained glass windows designed by artist Leo Mol.
Lot Swalwell (1874-1965)
St. Clement’s Anglican Church (July 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
St. Clement’s Anglican Church (May 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Aerial view of St. Clement’s Anglican Church (August 2020)
Source: George Penner
Interior of St. Clement’s Anglican Church (October 2017)
Source: George Penner
St. Clement’s Anglican Cemetery (April 2017)
Source: Christine Loff
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.12513, W96.89517
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mapleton St. Clements Anglican Cemetery (RM of St. Andrews)
Historical Tour: Selkirk, Manitoba by Wendy G. Smulan
Manitoba History, Number 34, Autumn 1997
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
Page revised: 28 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!