Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (558 Cook Street, Boissevain, Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)

Built in 1887, St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church is the oldest building in Boissevain. It is a strong reminder of the Anglo-Ontario cultural roots of its original congregation. The building exhibits basic Gothic Revival qualities, such as being small and modest, of wood frame construction and the pointed windows along the side walls.

A monument at the front of the church, constructed by master mason Joe Jozsa, was donated by Bill Moncur and Hattie Moncur in memory of Louisa (Moncur) Henderson (1915-1996). The bell on top is inscribed with “Presented to Bower Lake Presbyterian Camp, Boissevain, Man. by Canadian Pacific Railway Co. Feb. 6, 1962.”

Postcard view of the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church with the Boissevain Town Hall at left

Postcard view of the St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church with the Boissevain Town Hall at left (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0161

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Commemorative monument at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church

Commemorative monument at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (August 2019)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.22968, W100.05538
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: William “Bill” Moncur (1910-2001)

Memorable Manitobans: Jozsef “Joe” Jozsa (1931-2017)

Sources:

Boissevain Special Places, Heritage Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Rose Kuzina and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 6 October 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.