Historic Sites of Manitoba: Spencer School No. 1969 / Spencer South School (RM of DeSalaberry)
This site at the northwest corner of NW 36-4-5 East in the Rural Municipality of DeSalaberry was the location of the former Spencer South School within the Spencer School District No. 1969. It opened in 1943 in response to overcrowding at the Spencer North School. The school closed in June 1966 and its area later became part of the Hanover School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Spencer South School were Olga Froese (1943-1946), Alvina Unger (1946-1947), Sidney Warhaft (1947), Harvey Roland Kroeker (1947-1948), John Peter Krahn (1948), Martha Dyck (1948-1949, 1950-1952), Helga Peters (1949-1950), Andrew Rieger Sobering (1952-1955), Dietrich Penner (1956, 1959), Peter U. Dueck (1956-1957), Elden Funk (1957-1958), Betty Falk (1958), Abram Friesen (1959), Samuel Sherwin “Sam” Wiens (1959-1962), John Isaac Krahn (1962-1963), and Jake Letkeman (1963-1966).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division, 1878-1968 by John K. Schellenberg, Steinbach: The Board of the Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Spencer School No. 1969 Daily Registers, GR1189, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Spencer School No. 1969 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
Page revised: 24 January 2021