The Southfield School District was organized formally in January 1900 and a school building operated at NW25-9-12W in the Rural Municipality of Victoria. It was destroyed by fire in December 1917 and was rebuilt at SE25-9-12W on a design by Winnipeg architect E. D. Tuttle. It closed in 1962 and its remaining students went to Spruce Hills Consolidated School No. 2413. The building was moved to the farm of Charlie McGregor at SE35-9-12W. The school is commemorated by a monument erected in July 2008.
Southfield School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 46.
Southfield School monument (March 2013)
Source: Ken Storie
Site Location (lat/long): N49.76875, W98.96846
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Ken Storie and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 February 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.