Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Prairie History No. 1
Prairie
History

No. 1

Manitoba Photographers List
Manitoba
Photographers
List

Free Press Manitoba 150
Free Press
Manitoba
150

MHS YouTube Channel
MHS
YouTube
Channel

Manitoba Brick & Blocks
Manitoba
Bricks
& Blocks

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Jens Munk at Churchill
Field Trip:
Churchill
2020

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

Fundraising Dinner 2020
MHS
Fundraising
Dinner
2020

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Stream School No. 98 (RM of Westbourne)

Silver Stream School was organized in April 1880. The first log school was built later that year, on the east bank of Silver Stream a half mile east of this cairn, in 31-13-11 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Westbourne. In 1906, the second school, a frame building, was built on SE36-13-12W, by the cairn. It was replaced in 1953 by another frame school on the same site. It closed in 1967 and students were transported by bus to Gladstone. The cairn was erected in 1992 and dedicated to the students, teachers, and pioneers of the Silver Stream district.

The cairn also commemorates the community of Silver Stream. The first store and post office located by the railroad (NE23-13-12W) served the community from 1910 to 1948 and the second one, 30 rods east, from 1948 to 1976. The Loyal Orange Lodge Hall (SE26-13-12W) was the nucleus of community activities from 1908 to 1968. A curling rink built in 1950 was removed in 1969. A Wiley Lowe elevator operated in the district in the early 1900s. A map on the cairn shows the locations of the school and the community.

Silver Stream School

Silver Stream School Monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.13747, W98.97352
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 19 May 2013

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.