Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Creek School No. 288 (Silverton, RM of Silver Creek)
The Silver Creek School District was organized formally in 1884 and a school building was erected in the village of Silverton in the Rural Municipality of Silver Creek. The original building was subsequently replaced by the present structure, which still stands on the original site. The district was dissolved in 1967 when students were sent to Russell Consolidated School No. 2454.
The original Silver Creek School (no date) by G. W. Bartlett
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 14.
The former Silver Creek School building (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.76769, W101.16021
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Creek Centennial Cairn (Angusville, RM of Silver Creek)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 May 2013
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.