Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 142 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shipman Court (543 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)

This three-storey brick and stone apartment block on Bannatyne Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by architect Victor William Horwood and built in 1909 by contractor John Saul for owner C. S. Shipman. The cost of constructing the 48 by 48 foot building, containing 10 apartments, was $17,000.

Shipman Court at right

Shipman Court at right (August 2018)
Source: George Penner

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90204, W97.15216
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Victor William Horwood (1878-1939)

Memorable Manitobans: John Saul (1840-1928)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bannatyne Apartments (545 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)

Sources:

Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.

Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.

Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.

This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 March 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2021 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.