Historic Sites of Manitoba: Shannon School No. 583 (RM of Stanley)
The Shannon School District was established in May 1889 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW26-3-6W in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. In 1965, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Morden Consolidated School District.
Among the teachers who worked at Shannon School were John M. George (circa 1905) and Lenore Gwendoline Tole (1944-1945).
Miami East topographic map, 62G/8 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Obituary [Lenore Gwendoline Day], Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 2012, page 22.
We thank James Campbell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 December 2019
Back to top of page