The Seneca School District was formally established in January 1896 and, in 1898, a concrete schoolhouse was constructed at this site in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale. It closed in August 1916 and its students went to Eden Consolidated School No. 1661 in the nearby village of Eden. As of 1986, the former school building sat vacant at NW23-16-15W but it is no longer there.
The former Seneca School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1170.
Site Location (lat/long): N50.38774, W99.44680
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 December 2014
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.