Methodists erected a building on this site in Selkirk in 1895. When they united with the Congregational and Presbyterian churches in 1925, it was raised on a basement and served until the present sanctuary was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Prain and Ward and built between 1957 and 1958. An extension was added in 2011. The old building has undergone extensive renovation and now serves as a Christian education building.
Among the clerics who served at Selkirk United was Walter G. Crane.
Selkirk United Church (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Selkirk United Church (June 2020)
Source: Jaydi Overwater
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.14171, W96.87312
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Prain and Ward / Ward and Macdonald / Macdonald, Cockburn, McLeod, and McFeetors / MCM Architects
Historical Tour: Selkirk, Manitoba by Wendy G. Smulan
Manitoba History, Number 34, Autumn 1997
Heritage Buildings of Selkirk, City of Selkirk.
MCM Architects Inc. fonds, 1912-1994, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer and Oksana Preachuk and Jaydi Overwater (City of Selkirk, Culture Recreation & Green Transportation Department) for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.