Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dominion Post Office and Customs Building (406 Main Street, Selkirk)
Designed by Winnipeg architect James Chisholm, this two-storey building in Selkirk was constructed between 1907 and 1909 by Brown and Garson Construction. The structure was of solid brick construction with finished limestone above grade on the exterior. The interior was post and beam.
The building was used as a general public building, housing several federal offices including the North West Mounted Police, post office, and customs. Converted into a rooming house in the 1960s, and later vacant, it was renovated into offices, an art gallery and restaurant in 1989 and, the following year, was designated as a provincial historic site.
Today, the building houses the Selkirk Community Art Centre, featuring local artists and a gift shop with local crafts.
Photos & Coordinates
Selkirk Post Office and Customs Building, 406 Main Street, Selkirk, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Post Offices and Postmasters, Library and Archives Canada.
We thank Oksana Preachuk and Jaydi Overwater (City of Selkirk, Culture Recreation & Green Transportation Department) for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 October 2020