Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Manitoba
History

No. 84


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scheppers Agricultural College / Sacred Heart College (Swan Lake, Municipality of Lorne)

In early 1920, members of the Our Lady of Mercy monastic order, newly arrived from Belgium, purchased farm land from George H. Couch near the village of Swan Lake in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. Their plan was to establish an educational college for Catholic farm boys. A two-storey brick and stone building measuring 148 feet (45 meters) long and 82 feet (25 meters) wide, designed by St. James engineer Armand J. Boissonneau, was built later that year by St. Boniface contractor Firmin Wyndels, at a cost of some $70,000. Known informally as Scheppers College, for the Order’s founder Victor Scheppers (1802-1877), it was formally named the Sacred Heart College (Collège du Sacré Coeur). Consecrated by Archbishop Arthur Beliveau of St. Boniface, it opened for classes in October 1920 with Brother Mathieu as Principal.

Over the next dozen years, the facility offered instruction to local and boarding students, in English and French, in academic and agricultural subjects. Eventually, agricultural classes and instruction in French were phased out. Enrollment dropped in the late 1920s and the college closed permanently in October 1932. The Brothers were transferred to Huberdeau, Quebec, taking some of the college’s equipment with them and selling the rest. The building sat vacant for several years before being demolished in 1939. Some vestiges of its foundation are said to remain at the site.

Sacred Heart College

Sacred Heart College (1920)
Source: Legislative Library of Manitoba

Sacred Heart College

Postcard view of the Sacred Heart College (1922)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2015-0026

Site Location (lat/long): N49.41463, W98.80034
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba

Sources:

“Brothers of Mercy at Swan Lake are building college,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 March 1920, page 14.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

“Belgian college is near completion,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 August 1920, page 5.

George H. Couch Land Grants [SE/SW30-5-10W], Land Grants of Western Canada, 1870-1930, Library and Archives Canada.

Scheppers College, Rootsweb.

Archives of The Brothers of our Lady of Mercy in Canada, Rootsweb.

We thank Monica Ball, Karen Letourneau, and Theresa Early for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 December 2016

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.