This two-storey brick building at the intersection of Seventh Avenue South and Nelson Street West in Virden was built in 1888 by merchant William Frederick Scarth and used as a general store. It was later operated by a succession of hardware partnerships, including Elworthy and Merrick, Merrick and Anderson, and Pineo and Merrick. The building became a municipally-designated historic site in 2013.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Memorable Manitobans: William Frederick Scarth (1851-1927)
Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Albert Merrick (1866-1952)
The Virden Story, 1882-1957 by Ida Clingan, Virden: Empire Publishing Company, pages 30-31.
Scarth Block, 408 7th Avenue South, Virden, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 January 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.