Historic Sites of Manitoba: Scandia School No. 1732 (Spearhill, RM of Grahamdale)
The Scandia School District was organized formally in March 1914 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW23-27-7W in what became the Rural Municipality of Grahamdale. Two classrooms were used between 1954 and 1961. The school closed permanently in June 1966 and the building stood empty into the 1970s. The district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
The teachers of Scandia School were Miss Annie Pulse (1916-1917), Miss Elsie Innes (1916-1917, 1921-1922), Melville Cribbs (1917-1920), Miss V. M. Laing (1920-1921), Mrs. Gwendolyn Pepper (1921-1922), Miss A. E. Anderson (1922-1923), Miss M. P. Bell (1923-1925), Miss M. Cowan (1925-1926), Miss Ethel Gallagher (1926-1928), Miss Skofeld (1928-1929), Miss N. Greenberg (1928-1929), Dan Reese (1929-1930), B. Frank Privat (1930-1935, 1938-1939), George Chidley (1935-1936), Mr. F. Kasian (1936-1937), Miss McDowell (1937-1938), Miss Munson (1939-1940), Miss Work (1940-1941), Mrs. Shobrooke (1941-1943), Mrs. Francis (1943-1944, 1945-1946, 1947-1954, 1956-1957), Miss Dorothy Genest (1944-1945), Miss Chomowkowski (1946-1947), George Schroeder (1954-1956), Mrs. Kutzy (1956-1957), Mrs. Sherman (1957-1958), Carl Safinuk (1957-1959), Miss L. Nakka (1958-1959), Mr. Joseph (1959), Mr. Turman (1959-1961), Mr. R. Rhos (1961-1964), and Mrs. Konzelman (1964-1966).
Speaking of Spearhill: Memoirs of a Village by Spearhill Reunion Committee, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.S74 Spe]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2018
Back to top of page