This one-storey brick building on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg, measuring 32 feet by 80 feet, was designed by the architectural firm of Northwood and Chivers. It was constructed in 1929 as a grocery store for Safeway Stores Limited.
The building was occupied by a bakery at the time of a 2021 site visit. Its exterior is relatively unmodified from its original appearance.
Former Safeway store on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg (April 2020)
Source: George Penner
Former Safeway store on Sherbrook Street in Winnipeg (May 2021)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.88208, W97.15974
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Northwood and Chivers / Northwood Chivers and Casey
Manitoba Business: Safeway Stores Limited
“Safeway stores establish main branch in city,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 July 1929, page 8.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.