Historic Sites of Manitoba: Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)
This church in the village of Sifton, in the Rural Municipality of Dauphin, was built in the early 20th century by Ukrainian and Russian farmers under the direction of Archbishop Vladyka Arseny. It was the remaining building of an original set of three: an orphanage (1905) destroyed by fire in 1924 and a seminary built on the orphanage site in 1926 but abandoned in 1990. The church was designated as a municipal historic site in March 2005 and it was renovated substantially over a period of two years as part of the Manitoba Prairie Churches Project. Shortly after completion of the work, in 2010, it was completely destroyed by fire. The official cause was ascribed to sparks from a nearby grass fire, but some suspect it was arson.
Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church (no date)
Source: Ed Ledohowski
Memorial to the Russian Orthodox Church at Sifton, which stood here from 1926 to 2010 (September 2012)
Source: Alan Mason
Site Location (lat/long): N51.36023, W100.14584
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Russian Orthodox Orphanage Monument (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Russian Orthodox Cemetery (Sifton, RM of Dauphin)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Prairie Churches Project / Manitoba Prairie Icons Project
Holy Resurrection Russian Orthodox Church, Railway Avenue & First Street, Sifton, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 October 2016
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.