Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rus School No. 1701 (RM of Fisher)
The Rus School District was formally organized in October 1913, and a wooden frame schoolhouse located at the northeast corner of NE4-25-2W in the Rural Municipality of Fisher. The school operated into the 1960s, with the district’s catchment area dissolved into the Lakeshore School Division in April 1967.
Among the teachers of Rus School were Nicolas V. Bachynsky (1914-1915, 1917-1918), C. J. Andree (1915-1916), Michael P. Hlady (fall 1919), F. W. Simms (spring 1920), Clara Cohen (1926-1927), Pearl Sawula (1928-1929), Jane Andrieshyn (1931-1932), Mary Malenchak (1936-1937), Mary Barbara Rumple (1939-1940), Thereas M. Leroux (1942-1943), Mary Yurkivich (1944-1945), Thomas George Bodykevich (1945-1946), Valentina Gorbretzewich (1946-1947), Michael Kuliasa (1947-1948), Louise Anne Malkowich (1948-1949), Mary Bocek (1949-1950), Joseph Kon (1950-1951), Anne Antonchuk (1951-1952), Anne Bocek (1952-1953), Rose Nowalski (fall 1953), Orest Bylyra (spring 1954), Peter Kubas (1954-1955), Cyril Joseph Sinclair (1955-1956), Michael Kubas (1956-1957), Nancy J. Wevursky (1957-1958), Mary Eleanor Dion (1958-1961), and Phyllis Ann Rodych (1961-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Rus School District No. 1701 - Daily Registers, GR11220 , Archives of Manitoba.
Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), Rus School District No. 1701, GR1630, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Rus School District No. 1701, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 11 October 2019
Back to top of page