This one-storey brick Royal Bank building at the southwest corner of Main Street and Logan Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by Montreal-based architect S. G. Davenport with supervision from local architect Frank Ruttan. It was constructed in 1946 by the Commonwealth Construction Company to replace a branch dating from 1921 that had been destroyed by fire in January 1946.
After the branch closed in the early 1980s, the building has hosted several retail stores.
Memorable Manitobans: Francis Norlande “Frank” Ruttan (1885-1970)
Manitoba Business: Carter-Halls-Aldinger / Commonwealth Construction Company
Manitoba Business: Royal Bank of Canada
“Main Street bank ravaged by blaze,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 January 1946, page 1.
618 Main Street, Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
This page was prepared by George Penner.
Page revised: 27 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.