Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rothesay School No. 350 (Municipality of Prairie View)
The Rothesay School District was organized formally in November 1884 and a one-room school building operated at a nearby location in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View until 1906. The school operated here from 1910 to 1919, when it became Rothesay Consolidated School No. 350. The school closed in 1967 when its area became part of the Birdtail River School Division. The building was later renovated into a private residence, which appears to have been vacant since the late 1990s.
Among the teachers of Rothesay School were Myrtle Young (1923-1926), Laura Anne Orchard, Frances Berwick Peel (1937-1940, 1963-1966), Roween Brown Kenward (1943-1944), Eva Tibbitts (1945-1946), Geoff Smith (1951-1953), Helen Hanlin (1953-1956), and Hazel Gill Wall (1959-1963).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Oldest former students unveil Rothesay ‘stone’,” Birtle Eye-Witness, 8 August 1984, page 13.
We thank Marj Bone and Al Loyns for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 July 2017
Back to top of page