Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kildonan Public School / West Kildonan School / River School (Scotia Street, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Commissioned by the West Kildonan School District No. 8, to replace the original West Kildonan School, this wooden frame schoolhouse was opened in 1905. It measured approximately 26 feet by 28 feet, with architectural drawings provided by Frank R. Evans and was built by Mr. Dennis at a cost of $1,575. The schoolhouse was named the Kildonan Public School but also known as West Kildonan School. It was located on the northeast corner of Lot 26 within the Parish of Kildonan, on a roughly one acre site east of Kildonan Presbyterian Church, between the present Scotia Street and the Red River, and immediately adjacent to the former stone schoolhouse, prior to its relocation.

In January 1923, it became part of the Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, and by the early 1930s became identified as River School. During the last three decades in operation, the school was primarily staffed by a single teacher typically teaching grades 1 to 8. It remained in use until replaced with the Red River School in 1953, after which the district placed the property for sale in the late fall of that year.

Principals

Period

Principal

1952-1953

Lillian Jeanne Duprey

Teachers

School Year

Teachers

1952-1953

Lillian Jeanne Duprey (grades 5-9), Anne Zubachek (grades 1-4)

Among the other teachers at River School were E. Mabel Hurst (1924-1926 & 1927-1930, grades 1-8; 1926-1927, grades 1-6), Miriam C. Margarson (1926 substitute, grades 1-6), Doris Evelyn Wakelin (1930-1931, grades 1-8; 1931-1932, grades 1-8,), Gregory Wilbert Sinclair (1932-1934 & 1936-1942, grades 1-8; 1934-1935, grades 1-9; 1935-1936, grades 1-10), Elta Larson (1942-1944, grades 1-8), Mrs. Joyce Newfield (1944-1945, grades 1-8), Muriel W. McElroy (1945-1949, grades 1-8), and Anne Zubachek (1949-1950, grades 1-8; 1950-1952, grades 1-6).

Photos & Coordinates

West Kildonan School

West Kildonan School (1905)
Source: A Historical Study of Public Education in West Kildonan to 1959 by R. R. Bailey, 1966, Collection of Mr. C. Edwards.

Kildonan Public School (right) and Nisbet Hall

Kildonan Public School (right) and Nisbet Hall (left)
Source: Kildonan Community Church.

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.95256, W97.09706
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1950, page 26.

“$35,000 bylaw faces Old Kildonan voters,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 October 1950, page 10.

“St. Boniface, 9 suburbs go to polls tomorrow,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1950, page 3.

“Two money bylaws approved in suburbs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 October 1950, page 1.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 June 1951, page 20.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan,” Winnipeg Free Press, 7 July 1951, page 20.

“Old Kildonan to vote school bonds July 27,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 July 1951, page 8.

“Old Kildonan votes on schools Friday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 July 1951, page 21.

“Old Kildonan plans tot taxi,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 1952, page 12.

“Ratepayers hear report on school,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 October 1952, page 17.

“Sale of buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 April 1953, page 29.

“Offers to purchase,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 November 1953, page 32.

“Red River School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 March 1954, page 4.

“Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 April 1957, page 19.

“The Rural Municipality of Old Kildonan [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 May 1957, page 37.

“Tenders for school buildings,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 July 1957, page 35.

“Tenders,” Winnipeg Free Press, 5 September 1957, page 43.

“Notice of tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 October 1957, page 39.

A Historical Study of Public Education in West Kildonan to 1959 by Raymond Ronald Bailey, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, 1966.

School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Old Kildonan School District No. 2102, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 3 August 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | Questions | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.