Occupants | Photos & Maps | Sources
This two-storey house in the Armstrong’s Point area of Winnipeg was built in 1884-1885 for wholesale grocer Edmund Powis. It was significantly altered and enlarged to its present size by its next owner, hardware merchant William G. McMahon who occupied the house until his death in 1932. The next owner Joseph Wolinsky put concrete piles under the structure and changed it to a triplex. Today, the owners live in one of the suites and rent out the other two.
Photos & Coordinates
Memorable Manitobans: Edmund Powis (c1845-1930)
Memorable Manitobans: William George McMahon (1867-1932)
Memorable Manitobans: Joseph Wolinsky (1887-1980)
Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Walking Tour of Armstrong’s Point by Patricia Thomson
Armstrong's Point: A History by Randy R. Rostecki, Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009.
We thank Patricia Thomson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 September 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.