Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pembroke School No. 848 (Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone)
The Pembroke School District was established formally in May 1895 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE19-15-11W in what is now the Municipality of WestLake-Gladstone. In 1949, the original building was replaced with a new structure located a half mile north of the original one, and students moved into it in January 1950. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Gladstone Consolidated School District and later the Pine Creek School Division. The former school building was moved to Gladstone and used as office space for the School Division.
Among the teachers of Pembroke School were Mrs. McEachern (1950-1957) and Ruth Emisch (1962-1963).
Langruth West topographic map, 62J/7 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Over the Rainbow: Memories of a Country School Teacher by Ruth Emisch, 1993.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 January 2016
Back to top of page