Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pembina Threshermen’s Museum (RM of Stanley)
Established in 1968, in the Rural Municipality of Stanley midway between Morden and Winkler, the museum arose from an old-time threshing bee held two years earlier on the farm of local resident, William V. Elias. Its mandate was to preserve the agricultural and Mennonite heritage of the Pembina Valley region. Situated on 12 acres of land, the museum comprises several heritage buildings, including Morden’s Canadian Pacific Railway Station, Haskett’s grain elevator (moved to the museum in February 2015), Braun House, Reimer Log House (formerly at Hochfeld, moved to the museum in 1980), Pomeroy School No. 58 (Newton School No. 58), Roseisle United Church, and others.
The Morden Research Station Barn was built as a horse barn in 1928. It was converted to small stock use in 1948 and converted to plant growth use in 1961. It was moved to the museum in 1990.
The Haskett Store was moved to Haskett in 1908 and used as a store until 1970 after which it was used as a residence. In 2012 the store building was moved to the museum where it is used as a display building.
The museum is open from May to September, seven days a week.
Pomeroy School, NW 1-3-5 WPM, Morden area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Reimer Mennonite Log House, NW 1-3-5 WPM, Morden area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Roseisle United Church, NW 1-3-5 WPM, Morden area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Morden Canadian Pacific Railway Station, NW 1-3-5 WPM, Morden area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
“Grain elevator moves down Manitoba back roads to museum,” Global News, 19 February 2015.
“Historic elevator gets permanent new home,” Morden Times, 12 September 2015.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 July 2020