Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Parnell House (826 Wolseley Avenue, Winnipeg)

This two-storey brick house was built in 1909 for James A. Counter, a co-founder of the Manitoba Bridge and Iron Works. Three years later, he sold it to baker Edward Parnell, who later became Mayor of Winnipeg. After Parnell’s death in 1922, the house was sold to William H. Sharpe, who lived here until 1930. The building changed hands frequently over the next few years until it was divided into two suites around 1944. It was the home of the Zeta Beta Tau fraternity from 1958 to the mid-1970s.

Parnell House

Parnell House (March 2020)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87914, W97.16550
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Edward Parnell House, 826 Wolseley Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Rose Kuzina.

Page revised: 27 March 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.