Historic Sites of Manitoba: Parkland School No. 2197 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
After Parkland School No. 1036 closed in 1915, the name was re-used 14 years later, when Parkland School District No. 2197 was established, in 1929. A one-storey wood frame school building was erected on the southwest quarter of 6-11-27 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Wallace. The school closed in 1958 due to low enrollment and its remaining students went to Elkhorn Consolidated School No. 366. The district was dissolved in July 1964. The building was sold and moved in 1973 to a farmyard at N49.86631, W101.14937. A fieldstone monument remains to commemorate it at the original site.
The teachers of Parkland School were Olive Jenner (1929-1936), Sybil O’Neil (1936-1940), Marjorie Wilson (1940-1941), Marion Gordon, Verna McIntyre, Gertrude Fast, Irene E. Taylor (1942), Emma May Mitchell (1943), Olive Reid (1943-1944), Kathleen Paull (1944-1947), Ronald Chalmers (1947-1948), Margaret Lamb (1948-1949), Gwyneth Jones (1949-1950), Patricia McCarthy (1950-1951), Shirley Fulmore (1951-1952), Margery Reid (1952-1953), Lorraine Fargey (1953-1954, wife of Lyall E. Sims), Violet Switzer (1954-1955), Doris Liefso (1955-1956), Norman Kalinski (1956-1957), and Donald McBean (1957-1958).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1981: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, pages 97-99.
Binding Our Districts by History Book Committee, 1989. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.H374 Bin]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2019