Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paramount School No. 1289 (Municipality of Two Borders)
The Paramount School District was established in March 1904 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW23-6-27W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. In 1964, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Reston Consolidated School District and later the Fort La Bosse School Division. As of mid-2016, the former school building was standing at SE20-6-27W (N49.49392, W101.07707), being used as a workshop.
Among the teachers of Paramount School were Miss Grace Graham (1905), Miss Elizabeth Smith (1905), Florence McLaren (1921), Elizabeth LeBarron (1921-1922), Doris Bulloch (early 1920s), Ruth Fairlie (1927-1929), Marion Meyers (early 1930s), Miss Shirley Campion (1947), Janet Wardman, Rose Ann Guagliardo, Joyce Atchison, Mary Sutcliffe, Beverly Zarn, Gloria Goodison, Mona Daniel, Bernice Cochrane, Edythe Forsyth, Carol McGill, Inez Iversen, and Mr. Albert Stamler.
Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]
Reston East topographic map, 62F/11 East, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 339-341. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 April 2021