Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Overstone School No. 1106 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

The Overstone School District was organized formally in March 1901. As of 1944, a one-room schoolhouse was operating at the southeast corner of SE13-1-4E in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. The district was dissolved in 1961 and its catchment area became part of the Ridgeville Consolidated School District. The school building was moved to Ridgeville where it was used as an additional classroom. The area later became part of the Boundary School Division.

Among the teachers of Overstone School were Julia Sanders (1911), Elizabeth Sullivan (1911), Freda Mellors (1911-1912), Ethel Emprey (1912, 1918), Emma Thompson (1913), H. Stewart (1913), Alice Kellet (1913), Vera Sinker (1914), Alda M. Stratton (1917), Mrs. E. M. Bell (1918), Clara Rendfleish (1919), Charles J. Salinos (1919-1920), E. E. Fahey (1920), E. R. Forsman (1921), Alice M. Jack (1922), Abbie French (1922-1923), Bessie I. Tolton (1923), Edith Eleanor Clarke (1923-1914), Mary A. Froom (1924, substitute), Helena M. Spence (1924-1926), Erma McLennan Spence (1927-1928), Emma Gruenke (1928-1929), Mabel Harvey (1929-1930), A. M. Jack (1929, substitute), Austin Alfred Dale (1930-1932), Frederick Alvin “Fred” Kirbyson (1932-1935), Esther Hazel M. Gateson Kachman (1935-1938, 1941-1944), Ethel Kathleen Burridge (1938-1939), Harold Arthur Bathgate (1939-1941), Evelyn Mary Schellenberg (1944-1945), Agnes Thalea Edinger (1945-1946), Katherine Friesen (1946-1947), Irene Hildegrad Schultz (1947-1948), Mary Ann Nynych (1948-1949), Myrtle Estelle Hassett (1949-1950), Matilda Braun (1950-1951), Audrey Vivian Jack (1951-1953), Pollyanna Jessie Babula (1953-1954), Valentine Korde (1954-1955), John W. Cosmystruk (1955-1956), Lavina Jean Hancox (1956-1957), Pearl McTaggart (1957-1958), and Otto Rosner (1958-1961).

Overstone School

Overstone School (April 1925) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 59.

Site Location (lat/long): N49.03040, W96.92129
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [Overstone School District No. 1106], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Overstone School District No. 1106 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Overstone School District No. 1106 Daily Registers, GR4095, Archives of Manitoba.

School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Page revised: 17 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.