Historic Sites of Manitoba: Otter Lake School No. 2265 (Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson)
The Otter Lake School District was established formally in July 1935 and a one-room schoolhouse operated on the northeast quarter of 10-18-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson. It closed in January 1965 and remaining students went to Erickson Consolidated School No. 2405. The school building remains on the site as a private residence.
Among the teachers of Otter Lake School were Elsie Hall (1940-1941), Lenore Gusdal (1941-1942), Mrs. Helen Hunt (1942-1943), Florence Hillstrand (1943-1944), Aileen Lee (1944-1945), Irene McGorman (1945-1946), Wilda Carlson (1946-1959), May Horwood (1959-1961), Mrs. Annette Lett and Mary Duncan (1961-1962).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Forest to Field: Centennial History of Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam and Village of Erickson, Manitoba, Canada by Clanwilliam History Book Committee, 1984, page 160.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 March 2019
Back to top of page