Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Old High Bluff School No. 13 (RM of Portage la Prairie)

High Bluff School was established at this site in 1859 with John Norquay as its teacher. The school was destroyed by fire in 1876. A new school was built in 1879 and was called High Bluff No. 13, becoming Old High Bluff School when the High Bluff Village School No. 771 was formed. The school was replaced by a new structure in 1893. It closed permanently in 1963, merging with Cochrane School No. 43, North High Bluff School No. 23, Flee Island School No. 527, Portage Creek School No. 505, and High Bluff Village School No. 771 to become High Bluff Consolidated School No. 2418. The building was sold and used as a private residence.

Some of the teachers who worked at Old High Bluff School through the years were John Norquay, Mr. Gerrond, Mary Bell, K. Hammond, Annie M. Cole, Winnie E. Jeffery, Millie Tweddle, Violet Y. Wilton, Lens J. Grant, A. G. Huskins, Kennina M. McKay, May Tidsbury, Ethel Rowley, Vida Lloyd, Ellen Cook, Miss Limbrick, I. Steen, R. G. Joseph, Sylvia G. Olson, Phyllis McKay, Colena Muir, Bernice Nixon, Annie Cruickshank, Marion P. Wilkes, Kathleen Trimble, Sally Williamson Hicks, E. Martins, Miss Clark, Gwendalyn Lewis, Shoemaker, John Jackson, Mrs. Duchny, Vera Arrell, Mrs. V. M. Prestash, Mrs. M. Rutledge, Franz Solmundson, Mary Rutledge, Ethel M. Mathews, and Ethel Tidsbury.

Old High Bluff School

Old High Bluff School (no date) by A. B. Fallis
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 9.

Old High Bluff School commemorative sign

Old High Bluff School commemorative sign (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.993140, W98.149190
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Rural Schools of Portage la Prairie School Division #24 by Muriel Wright, 1996.

We thank Shirley Christianson for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 February 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.