This ten-storey office building on York Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by David Frederick Thordarson of the architectural firm Green Blankstein Russell and constructed by contractor Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert between 1959 and 1960 to provide office space for the Manitoba government. It was named for former Premier John Norquay.
Memorable Manitobans: David Frederick Thordarson (1926-2003)
Manitoba Business: Green Blankstein Russell and Associates
Memorable Manitobans: Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert (1906-1971)
Memorable Manitobans: John Norquay (1841-1889)
“$4 million contract let [Norquay Building],” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 May 1959, page 3.
This page for was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 July 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.