Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nordur Stjarna School No. 1226 (RM of Coldwell)
The Nordur Stjarna School District was established in April 1903. By 1905, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed on four acres at the northeast corner of NE30-19-3W in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell. It operated until 1915 when the district was consolidated with Rocky Hill School No. 1781. It was re-formed in March 1917 and, two years later, a second classroom was added along with a full basement. The two classrooms were used for only two years after which declining student enrollment meant that only a single teacher was needed. The school closed permanently in 1959 and the building was moved to a nearby farm. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.
Among the teachers who worked at Nordur Stjarna School through the years were Steina Stefanson, Th. J. Johannesson, Havardur Eliasson, Gudmundur O. Thorsteinson, Sigurlin Johnson (Mrs. K. Backman), Jon Straumfjord, E. Holmquist, Agnar Magnusson, Sigga Peterson (Mrs. Th. Jonsson), Rev. Hjortur Leo, Johann Magnus Bjarnason, Thorstein O. S. Thorsteinson, Ruth Bardal, Lilja Erlendson, Lottie Olafson (Mrs. Axel Vopnford), Palina Johnson, Stina Skulason, Felix Sigurdsson, Emma Thomasson (Mrs. Leo Danielson), Gudmundur Eyolfson, Chrissie Halldorson (Mrs. Gordon Thorsteinson), Lillian Olson (Mrs. Eric Johnson), Magnusina (Marjie) Jones, Joyce Ford (Mrs. Ben Watson), Dagny Kristenson, Pat McFee, Margaret Proven, Eleanor Westman (Mrs. Norman Nordal), Frank Olson, Rosa Johnson, Siggi Sigurdson, Helga Eirikson, Joyce Spring, Sigrun Skulason (Mrs. Ronald Jonasson), Magdeline Giesbrecht, Mara Hunter, Eileen Kaul, Peggy Bjornson, Dennìs Einarson, and Sigurbjorg (Sibba) Johnson.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Wagons to Wings: History of Lundar and Districts, 1872-1980 compiled by Lundar and District Historical Society, 1980.
We thank Judy Gleich for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 September 2018
Back to top of page