Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nedrob School No. 1934 (Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson)
The Nedrob School District was established formally in March 1918 and a building was erected on the southeast quarter of 25-18-18 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Clanwilliam-Erickson. The name was reportedly chosen when their first choice “Borden” (in commemoration of Robert Borden, the Canadian Prime Minister at the time) was already in use by another Manitoba school. So the school trustees reversed the letters in the name to arrive at “Nedrob.” Closed between 1945 and 1960, it reopened in September 1960 then closed permanently in December 1964 with the remaining students going to Erickson Consolidated School No. 2405. The building was removed from the site and was located on the Erickson Centennial Grounds before being removed in late 2015. A small concrete monument remains at the original school site.
Among the teachers of Nedrob School were Miss Pearl Pockett (1920), Miss Reta L. McKenzie (1920), Miss Marguerite Mckenzie (1921), Miss Dorothy Sharp (1921), Miss Doris McQuarrie (1924), Miss E. M. Fellingham (1925), Miss Olive Wallcraft (1926), Miss Margaret Chapman (1927), Miss Catherine Johnson (1928-1929), Miss Christina Fraser (1929), Miss Ruby Law (1929-1930), Miss Lois I. Chambers (1930-1931), Miss Elsie Greer (1931-1932), Miss Lorna M. Porter (1933), Roland G. Quarnstrom (1935-1936), Mr. W. J. D. Fulford (1937), Louis C. Todd (1937), Margaret Creighton (1938-1940), Eddie H. Groening (1941-1942), Patrick G. Calancie (1942-1943), Miss Violet Gronback (1943-1944), Miss Stella Paulsen (1944), Harold Gilleshammer (1960-1961), and Mrs. Mary Thoren (1961-1964).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Forest to Field: Centennial History of Rural Municipality of Clanwilliam and Village of Erickson, Manitoba, Canada by Clanwilliam History Book Committee, 1984, pages 158-160.
We thank Carol Sundmark, Isabel Lockeridge, and Ralph Groening for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 June 2019
Back to top of page