Historic Sites of Manitoba: Nanton Estate Gates / Gatehouse (229 Roslyn Road, Winnipeg)
These gates, along with nearby gatehouse and stable (both converted to dwellings), are all that remains of “Kilmorie,” the massive estate of Augustus M. Nanton built in 1900 on this wooded lot south of the Assiniboine River in Winnipeg. Nanton died in 1925 and, after living in the main house for another ten years, his family found it too large to maintain. The building was demolished in 1935 and some of its oak paneling, stone fireplace, fixtures, and hardware were refitted into the gatehouse where Lady Nanton resided until her death in 1942. Subsequent residents in the gatehouse included Rupert Whitehead (1980s) and Rod Zimmer (?-2013). Sold to a developer in 2013, initial plans called for replacement of the deteriorated gatehouse by multi-family development. Local opposition led to a change in ownership of the property and, as of late 2018, modification of the plans toward a more modest duplex building. The gatehouse was demolished in January 2020.
The gates are now a municipally-designated historic site.
Former Nanton Estate (229 Roslyn Road), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1980.
We thank Vern Warkentin and Kristina Nordstrom for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 26 January 2020
Back to top of page