Historic Sites of Manitoba: Leo Mol Schoolhouse Studio (Assiniboine Park, Winnipeg)
In the 1960s, world-renowned sculptor Leo Mol purchased the former schoolhouse of the Corona School District No. 1706 that had served the Birds Hill community since 1913. Many of his well-known commissions were completed in it during the 1970s and 1980s. In 1995, the building was moved from its original site to the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden in Assiniboine Park, where it was restored and opened to the public.
Leo Mol Schoolhouse Studio (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Corona School (1920s) by J. E. S. Dunlop
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 20.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87477, W97.23682
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Corona School No. 1706 (RM of Springfield)
Memorable Manitobans: Leo Mol (1915-2009)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 August 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.