Historic Sites of Manitoba: Milner House (51 Balmoral Street, Winnipeg)
Sitting along a quiet residential street in 1909, designed and built by G. W. Ford, this building was the residence for businessman William E. Milner. After his death in 1942, his widow retained ownership to the property, transferring it in 1952 to their son, William H. Milner. In 1991, his estate sold it to the neighboring Great West Life Assurance Company, which had removed all the other homes that once sat on this side of Balmoral to make way for an extension of its employee parking lot. Efforts to move the building, a municipally-designated historic site, to another site failed but, between 2016 and 2017, it was renovated into a child-care facility. In 2018, the renovation project received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
William E. Milner House (51 Balmoral Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, June 1992.
“Man seeks new home for historic building,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 April 2004, page B12.
“No help from council,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 April 2004, page B4.
“Historic Milner House unveiled as new child-care facility for 100 kids,” CBC News, 10 May 2017.
Page revised: 7 January 2020
Back to top of page