The Million School District was organized formally in March 1912 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE31-26-16W in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. In 1936, the district became part of the Lawrence Municipal School District. The school closed in 1967 and henceforth students were transported to Rorketon School. The schoolhouse and teacherage were sold and moved off the site. A monument to the former school, and its water pump and flagpole, remained at the time of a 2014 visit.
Among the teachers of Million School was Miss Lindsay (1912).
Million School commemorative monument and flagpole (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.30243, W99.69154
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, pages 188-189.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 August 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!