The Methley School District was established in May 1921 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the railway siding of Methley (about SW2-26-15W) in the Rural Municipality of Lawrence. In 1936, its operation came under the control of the Lawrence Municipal School District. The school closed in 1960. Two years later, the building was moved to the site of Magnet School.
The teachers of Methley School were A. L. Sloan (1924-1925), Donalda Softon (1925-1926), H. F. Dietrich (1926-1927), M. D. Hall (1927), Mrs. Mary Wilson (1927-1929), Mrs. B. Leary (1929-1930), G. E. Ray (1930-1931), Mary Wallace (1931-1932), Phyllis I. Mann (1932-1934), Winnifred Clarke (1935), Pearl J. Tuck (1936-1937), Margaret J. Nicola Ross (1937-1943), Dorothy E. Cody (1943-1944), Miss K. Stourk (1944), Marie T. Meyer (1945-1946), Marie A. Montsion (1946-1947), Bernice M. Saucy (1947-1948), George Paulin (1948-1949), Annastasia Prediger (1949-1950), Frances Horeczy (1950-1951), Olga Budzey (1952-1953), Rita Boisvert (1953-1954), Cecile de Classe (1954), Marie Adam (1955-1956), Orest J. Tymchuk (1956-1957), and Marie Luke (1957-1960).
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.21479, W99.46736
denoted by symbol on the map above
Valpoy West topographic map, 62O/3 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Opening the Door - The Past Comes Alive, The History of the Rural Municipality of Lawrence by Lawrence Municipality History Committee, 1997, pages 128, 175-176.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 August 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!