Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Medora Methodist Church / Medora United Church Monument (Medora, Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)

Link to:
Clerics | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

A monument at Medora, in the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada, was dedicated on 19 November 1978 to commemorate the Medora United Church. The monument was topped with the original bell that had hung in the church tower until 1978. A wood frame church building was constructed here in 1903, becoming Medora United Church in 1925. Closed in mid-1996, the building was demolished in the winter of 2005-2006.

Clerics

Period

Cleric

1903-1905

Rev. Andrews

1905-1906

Rev. P. I. Thacker

1906-1907

Rev. Talbot

1907-1910

Rev. Bluett

1910-1911

Rev. Callow

1911-1914

Rev. Barber

1914-1915

Rev. Stook

1915-1916

Rev. Haskins

1916-1919

Rev. Rowan

1919-1922

Rev. Patterson

1922-1924

Rev. Lord

1924-1925

Rev. Parson

1925-1928

Rev. Graham

1928-1930

Rev. Haw

1930-1934

Rev. Dodd

1934-1935

Rev. Bygranes

1935-1940

Rev. Wotton

1940-1942

Rev. Wyman

1942-1949

Rev. D. A. McLean

1949-1952

Rev. W. O. Robinson

1952-1957

Mr. Young

1957-1961

Rev. Suitters

1961-1969

Rev. Nagus

1969-1970

Rev. Brown

1970-1975

Rev. Lloyd Lovering

1975-1983

Rev. Allan Saunders

1983-1988

Rev. Nancy Saunders

1988-1991

Brenda Kersell

1991-1995

Leon Hrabachuk

1995-1996

Shelley LeVene

Photos & Coordinates

Postcard view of Medora Methodist Church

Postcard view of Medora Methodist Church (no date)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0111

The former Berry Hill School attached to the Medora United Church

The former Berry Hill School attached to the Medora United Church (1975)
Source: The Rise and Fall of a Prairie Town, A History of Lauder by Gordon G. Phillips.

Medora United Church commemorative monument

Medora United Church commemorative monument (July 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.25628, W100.69719
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Bridging Brenda, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, page 254.

Bridging Brenda, Volume 3 by Brenda-Waskada History Committee, 2019, pages 140-141.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 7 September 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.