MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: McMaster School No. 1864 (RM of Fisher)

The McMaster School District was organized formally in March 1917 and a one-room schoolhouse was built by contractor W. C. Nichols in the second half of 1917. The school operated at NE5-25-1E in the Rural Municipality of Fisher and was eventually replaced by a new schoolhouse built in the latter half of 1953. In 1967, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Lakeshore School Division.

Among the teachers who worked at McMaster School through the years were J. P. Smitherian? (1918), M. E. Krehbiel (1918-1919), Mike Doroschuk (1919-1920), M. E. Graham (1920-1921), William Huddestone? (1921-1922), D. Fyles (1924), J. W. Pickersgill (1925), Frank W. Mallins (1925-1926), Norman Wright (1927), T. Luzer (1918), Mrs. L. Hawkins (1928), T. Stewart (1928), Ledora May Hawkins (1928), May Millicent Mawer Bush (1929, 1960-1967), Kristrun A. Todd (1929-1931), Gordon Stinson (1934-1935), Edward H. Troughton (1936), Charles W. H. Griggs (1936-1937), Eddie Pawroznik (1957-1958), Lawrence B. Kalynuk (1958-1959), and Olga Eyjolfsson (1959-1960).

McMaster School No. 1864

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.14087, W97.41654
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

School District Formation Files [McMaster School District No. 1864], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, McMaster School District No. 1864 Daily Registers, GR11220, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), McMaster School District No. 1864, GR1630, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), McMaster School District No. 1864 - Daily Registers, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), McMaster School District No. 1864 - Miscellaneous, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Departmentally appointed school trustee files (E 0034), McMaster School District No. 1864 - Cash Book, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 1864 - McMaster - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 30 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.