This two-storey residence in the Armstrong’s Point area of Winnipeg was constructed in 1882 by Montreal merchant William Ramsay as a speculative project. He rented it for several years until he ran into financial difficulty. In 1894, the house was bought by Daniel J. McIntyre and, three years later, he added plumbing and expanded it with a wing on its south side designed by J. H. G. Russell. The screened porch was added in 1994.
Memorable Manitobans: Daniel J. McIntyre (1852-1946)
Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Walking Tour of Armstrong’s Point by Patricia Thomson
Armstrong's Point: A History by Randy R. Rostecki, Winnipeg: Heritage Winnipeg Corporation, 2009.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 January 2020
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.