The Mason School District was organized in May 1926, named for Alexander George Mason who settled in the area in 1881. The district operated a school building, formerly used as Wakeham School, on the southwest quarter of 27-1-5 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. In 1969, it became part of the Western School Division No. 47. The present building replaced the original structure in 1948 and was used until declining student enrollment caused its permanent closure, as one of the last one-room schoolhouses in Manitoba, in June 2002.
Mason School commemorative monument and the former school building (November 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.06638, W98.06544
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Wakeham School No. 773 (RM of Stanley)
Manitoba Organization: Western School Division No. 47
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank John Loewen and Alan Mason for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 November 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!