The Maple Lake School District was established formally in April 1890 and a school building was erected the next year in the village of Findlay at SW13-7-25W in the Rural Municipality of Sifton. It closed in 1968. The building was moved to a nearby farmyard (about N49.56561, W100.75203) where it was still standing as of 2015 but a monument commemorates it at the former site.
Maple Lake School (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 97.
The former Maple Lake School building (September 2015)
Source: Ken Storie
Maple Lake School monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.56859, W100.75823
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Ken Storie for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 September 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.