Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manson Consolidated School No. 841 (Manson, RM of Ellice-Archie)
The Pleasant View School District was established formally in March 1895, on the northeast quarter of 5-14-29 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Ellice-Archie. In February 1917, it became Manson Consolidated School and, in the fall of that year, it occupied a newly constructed two-storey, two-classroom brick veneer building in the village of Manson. The district was dissolved in December 1968 and remaining students went to Rutherglen Consolidated School in McAuley. The former school building was used for a time as a church until it was demolished. A monument, unveiled on 9 July 1983, occupies its former site.
Photos & Maps
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 May 1917, page 7.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 April 2019
Back to top of page