Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lyons House (Municipality of North Cypress-Langford)
A two-storey, red-brick veneer residence southeast of Carberry in the Municipality of North Cypress-Langford was built in 1896 for businessman and MLA Robert F. Lyons, who occupied it until 1919. It was purchased by farmer Thomas Switzer (1864-1943) who lived here until 1927, then by his son and daughter-in-law Willard and Margaret Switzer until 1952. The final occupants appear to have been Stanley Paluch (1899-1983), Madeline Sokryka Krawec (1915-2009) and their four children. The elder Paluchs moved to a farm at McCreary in 1964 after selling the property to Harold Shirtliff of Starbuck. At the time of a 2016 site visit, the structure was badly deteriorated and densely encroached by vegetation.
Carberry Plains - Century One: 1882-1982 by Carberry History Book Committee, 1982, page 137.
Canadian voter lists, Ancestry.
Obituary [Stanley Paluch], Winnipeg Free Press, 27 December 1983, page 45.
The People of the Big Plain by Carberry-North Cypress 125 History Book Committee, 2007, page 511.
Obituary [Madeline Paluch Kasprick], Neepawa Banner, 20 February 2009, page 14.
We thank Reid Dickie and Ed Paluch for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 December 2017
Back to top of page