Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lyleton School No. 731 (Lyleton, Municipality of Two Borders)
The Lyleton School District was established formally in January 1893 and a school was erected where the Lyleton Cemetery is presently situated, in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders, on land donated by local farmer Amos Moore Lyle. In 1902, when the village of Lyleton was developed along the Canadian Pacific Railway, classes were transferred to the village community hall and the old school became White School No. 1326.
In 1906, a two-room school opened in Lyleton teaching grades 1 to 11. White School closed in 1912 when it was consolidated with Lyleton School to form the Lyleton Consolidated School No. 731. It became part of the Edward Municipal School District in 1956. A new two-room school for grades 1 to 8 was constructed on the northeast corner of the property in 1965 and the former school was demolished. Its bell was put atop a local monument. The school closed in June 1971 due to declining enrollment and thereafter children were bused to Pierson or Melita.
A commemorative plaque and replica of the former school were unveiled at the site on 1 July 2001.
Among the other teachers who worked at Lyleton School were Ralph Robins (1893), E. L. Jackson (1894), J. F.Morrison (1895), C. A. Murray (1896), Bertha Kellar (1897, 1898), F. Morrison (1897), Luella Munroe (1899), Minnie Walker (1900), P. W. Winthrope (1900), Jessie Furtney (1901), Margaret King (1905-1907), Laura E. Mace (1908), John B. Stewart (1909), Mayme A. McFetridge (1909-1910), Earl A. Ross (1910-1911), Victor W. Jenkins (1911-1912), Roxy Bride (1912), Louise C. Anderson (1912-1913), Minnie L. MacKenzie (1912-1913), James Henderson (1913-1914, 1919-1920), Laura Davidson (1913-1915), John Houston (1915-1916), Irene Melhuish (1915-1916), Frank S. Cockbill (1916-1917), Isabella J. Rendall (1916-1917), Dorothy Cornell (1917-1918), Isabella M. Melvin (1918), Jean Brown (1918-1919), Edith McKenzie (1918-1919), L. F. Rogers (1919-1921), Martha Reekie (1920), Grace Dandy (1920-1921), Lulu Rogers (1920-1921), E. M. Winslow (1921-1922), Mrs. C. L. Fraser (1921-1922), Mrs. M. E. White (1921-1924), Miss Norton (1921-1922), Mrs. McNish (1922-1925, 1926-1927), Grace Dunning (1924-1925), Reta Breakey (1925-1926), Edith Reid (1925-1926), Jean Dandy (1926-1929), Florence Cameron (1927-1928), Anne Forbes (1928-1933), Miss Williams (1928-1930), Jessie Post (1930-1932), Beth Dick (1932-1935), Miss Barber (1932-1933), Vera Murray (1935-1943), Margaret Gilchrist (1935-1940), Margaret Braaksma (1940-1943, 1957-1964), Helen Leckie (1943-1944), Anne Dunlop (1943-1944), Mrs. McRure (1943-1944), Carlyle Mayes (1943-1944), Doris Brooks (1944-1946), Mary Graham (1944-1945), Jean Fraser (1945-1946), Miss McKellar (1946-1947), Edward Kowalchuk (1946-1947), Isobel Miller (1947-1951), Anne Yanchyshyn (1947-1949), Tony Onysko (1949-1950), Arnold J. Nicholls (1950-1951), Isobel Gardiner (1951-1952), W. J. Olson (1951-1952), Pearl Stevens (1952-1955), Garnet Stevens (1952-1955), Mrs. Ruth Boulton (1955-1971), Ina Reid (1955-1957), Andy Sorgenfrie (1957-1958), Henry C. Barnes (1964-1965), Mrs. E. Siddaway (1965-1966), W. Emerson (1965-1967), M. Jean I. Gunn (1967-1971), and Ethel Willson (1970-1971).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Twelve retiring teachers cap careers with retirement dinner,” Brandon Sun, 17 June 1976, page 10.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Harvests of Time: History of the R.M. of Edward by Edward History Book Committee, 1983, pages 160-165.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2017
Back to top of page