This three-storey brick and stone building at the northwest corner of Evanson Street and Westminster Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 80 feet by 100 feet, was designed by local architect William Fingland and built in 1911 by owner Peter MacKissock at a cost of about $100,000. There were five commercial spaces on the main floor facing Westminster with the remainder, and the upper two floors, containing 20 residential apartments.
Memorable Manitobans: William Fingland (1862-1946)
Memorable Manitobans: Peter MacKissock (1864-1926)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2140/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.
Page revised: 30 January 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.