In 1817, near the location of this monument, Thomas Douglas, Fifth Earl of Selkirk, met with his settlers who had remained loyal during the troubled years of 1812 to 1817. On 10 August 1967, the monument was erected to his memory by the Lord Selkirk Association of Ruperts Land.
Lord Selkirk Arrival Monument (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Lord Selkirk Arrival Monument (July 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.92000, W97.12529
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Organization: The Lord Selkirk Association of Rupert's Land
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 May 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.