Historic Sites of Manitoba: Loon Lake School No. 1184 (Municipality of Ethelbert)
The Loon Lake School District was established in May 1902 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE15-30-22W in what is now the Municipality of Ethelbert. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Ethelbert Consolidated School District and later the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building was moved to N51.59591, W100.47335 where, at the time of a 2014 visit, it was being used for storage of agricultural equipment.
Among the teachers of Loon Lake School were Ethel B. Smith (1906), B. W. Dedeluk (1909), O. H. Hykaway (1911), M. Malcovich (1911), M. Demchuk (1914), John Hryciuk (1916), Alex Burtnyk (1918-1919), L. J. Syrnyk (1926-1928), A. E. Shewchook (1928-1929), M. Hykaway (1929-1930), L. J. Lubiniecki (1930-1932), Colin Doroschuk (1933-1934), Theo Humeniuk (1938-1939), Meroslaw Kozak (1944-1945), A. J. Burtnyk (1949-1950), Michael S. Syrnyk (1950-1951), Victor J. Swiderski (1953), Stephen Negrych, W. Bawolin, Ernest Bordynuk, and Ed Richenhaller.
Garland West topographic map, 62N/9 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The Ties That Bind: A History of Ethelbert and District by Ethelbert History Book Committee, 1985, page 56.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 February 2019
Back to top of page