Historic Sites of Manitoba: Merchants Bank Building / Lombard Building / Wheat Pool Building (373 Main Street, Winnipeg)
This site in Winnipeg, on the east side of Main Street at the corner of Lombard Avenue, was formerly occupied by the Inter-Ocean Hotel. That building was demolished in mid-1913 to allow expansion of the neighbouring Merchants Bank Building, built in 1902. The seven-storey brick structure provided space for a range of commercial and professional offices. In late 1923, following the 1921 merger of the Merchants Bank of Canada with the Bank of Montreal, it was renamed the Lombard Building.
In July 1946, the Wheat Pools of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta purchased the Lombard Building, moving from a smaller building at 423 Main Street, and renamed it the Wheat Pool Building. In early 1965, they sold it to James Richardson & Sons and, in June 1966, moved into three floors in the Royal Bank Building at the corner of Portage Avenue and Fort Street. The former Wheat Pool Building was demolished and the present Richardson Building was constructed in its place.
“Several large permits issued,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 June 1913, page 1.
“Dominion buys city building for Wheat Pool,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 July 1946, page 10.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 March 2020
Back to top of page